I live in fear of being late — as a child late for school, late for church, late to babysit and as I’ve grown my anxiety about being late has also grown. I dislike being late to things but that’s not to say I’m always on time either. However, my most common anxiety driven dream is being late for church and arriving without my sermon in hand.
Today’s Friday Five over at RevGals is about being late. So what are 5 ways or things I’ve been late for:
1. I always have good intentions of sending birthday cards or Christmas cards but they are sadly usually so late they wait till next year when again they are late.
2. I’ve been late for a few lunch dates with friends and even a few church members.
3. I’m sure over the past several months I’ve been late for a doctors appointment or two but the good news is that they are usually running so far behind they don’t notice my 5 minute tardiness.
4. I’ve been late to the office and therefore sometimes get a late start to my day.
5. I’ve been a few days late in taking care of myself and therefore end up paying the cost.
Thankfully there is grace in being late every now and then. I love the quote by Maya Angelo: “I’m convinced of this: Good done anywhere is good done everywhere. For a change, start by speaking to people rather than walking by them like they’re stones that don’t matter. As long as you’re breathing, it’s never too late to do some good.”